1. I’ve always had a love for photography. As a child, I would sit for hours, looking through old family photo albums and year books and admire the photos and “listen” to the stories that the photos told. I was ecstatic when I got a 110 cartridge camera for my 10th birthday. I took photos of everyone and everything.
My love for photography continued to grow through out the years, but I never thought of doing it “as a job”. I went to Brandeis University and graduated with a degree in Near Eastern and Judaic Studies. Then right after college, I got hired at a computer software company and was taught on the job. For the next 10+ years, I remained in the computer industry. Though, overall I enjoyed my jobs, I wasn’t completely happy with what I was doing. I felt there had there be something out there that would truly resonate with me.
Then I had my first daughter in 2009. My photography hobby really took off at that point. I couldn’t stop learning and taking photos of my gorgeous girl. When I went to return to work after maternity leave, I was asked if I’d like to take a voluntary layoff. I honestly jumped at the chance. So the next several months, I enjoyed the time with my girl and taking photos of her and all of my friend’s children. Then it hit me, why not turn this hobby into a career? So with the encouragement of my husband and my mom (and a generous loan from my mom) I took the leap of faith and officially opened Miss Z Photography in June 2011. I haven’t looked back nor doubted my decision since. It’s still not a job. It’s a passion.
2. I am located in New Bedford, MA, about an hour south of Boston. I have a beautiful studio located right in historic downtown New Bedford. I shoot both at my studio and on location.
3. Missing Question Above! 🙂
4. My two daughters and my love for children is what drew me into newborn, baby, child and family photography. I was very fortunate to have two easy pregnancies. I felt very beautiful during my pregnancies. That drew me to doing maternity photos and showcasing the beauty of all pregnant women, (even the ones who might not feel that way.) I also do senior photos and events such as baby showers, first birthdays and sweet 16’s.
5. My style is a cross between clean/classic and new/bold. I like to try different things all of the time. Sometimes, my ideas work out great and other times, not so much. But I have fun with it and so do my clients.
6. Hmmm, about me…. Some fun facts: I earned my high school letter on the math team, I trained for a power lifting competition back in 2002 and was able to dead lift 450 lbs, I’m related to Jonas Salk, the inventor of the Polio Vaccine, my favorite color is purple and I can name almost any 80’s tune within the first 3 beats of the song. 🙂
7. My favorite indulgence is Ben and Jerry’s Milk and Cookies ice cream. 🙂
8. I have too many “favorites”. So my current read is, “What Alice Forgot” by Liane Moriarty.
9. My favorite quote is: “Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some type of battle.”
10. In no particular order:
1) “Super Mario Brothers” I love this one because I grew up playing this game system. I was so excited when the dad requested this. It brought back a lot of great memories.
2) “Flowers” I love this one because I used flowers from my own yard. I picked them as I was leaving the house to go to my studio for the session. It was very impromptu, but turned out really great.
3) “Angel” I love this one because it depicts the mom to be as an angel – sweet and pure, protective and guiding.
4) “Mother and Daughter”. I love this one because it captures the love between a mom and her daughter.
5) I call this one “The Dirty Dancing Pose” (one of my all time favorite movies) because in one of the scenes when Baby is practicing her dancing up a bunch of walks/stairs, she looks around to see if anyone is looking and then does a very similar pose against the railing. Mom actually felt really funny posing like this, but when she saw the final product, it was one of her favorites!
See more from Miss Z Photography HERE
See more from Miss Z Photography HERE